Monday, March 9, 2009

Tofu Adventure

I've been reading this book about eating foods that are appropriate or healthy for my blood type. First of all I was pretty bummed to lean that the majority of the foods I have been eating are not healthy for my blood type. This goes beyond the obvious "unhealthy" foods such as greasy cheeseburgers and the like. I found that the best diet for my blood type is a "Vegetarian" diet. I was neither impressed nor happy to learn this. I love, really LOVE, red meat and the number one thing about blood type A people is that red meat is not to be consumed at all! Talk about bummed; no more rib eyes, pot roasts, bacon, sausage, BBQ, or Nathan's Hot Dogs, and no more hamburgers or anything that has hamburger.

So I'm trying to see how all of this is going to work. My wife and I share the same blood type, so this makes it a bit easier right out of the gate. After a couple of days we attended a basketball game - try to find something on their menu that is healthy for a type A... We ended up with chicken tenders, fries and a beer. Well at least chicken is allowed (not fried)... So we ate the food and man did I feel miserable afterward - I think it was a combination of our bodies adjusting to the new diet and rejecting the breading, grease, potatoes and beer. My weight was up two pounds overnight from this adventure!

Saturday, I headed off to the grocery store in search of Tofu and soy milk (dairy is not on the menu so no milk, cheese, butter, or ice cream. I guessed that tofu would be in the refrigerated section of the grocery store, it wasn't. I was looking at some recommended flour and right down the shelf voila' there is the tofu in a nice little carton. I got the tofu, some squash, baby portobello mushrooms and took all this stuff home. Lunch became those ingredients and a carrot, garlic, and an onion sauteed in olive oil and seasoned with soy sauce and sea salt. It was actually tasty and we enjoyed our lunch. I have to admit that I was very skeptical of the whole tofu thing but combined with the other ingredients and the seasoning worked fine for us.

Sunday, I baked a chicken in the oven (beer can chicken recipe) - the beer was a cheat and the spice rub was probably not the best choice either... But the chicken turned out well and we enjoyed it and will have leftovers tonight with some fresh steamed veggies.

The major adjustments thus far have been significantly reducing red meat and dairy products; reprogramming my mind to think about a healthier diet and focusing on the foods that are recommended like peanuts!

This morning I awoke without my normal body aches - fluke or new benefit from the diet?

No comments:

Post a Comment